RE: Connecting to BioMOO via Telnet

Brookhart, Gary (GBrookha@rp-agro.com)
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 09:17:15 -0500

Dave,

My experience is similar to that of Tobias. I too was only able to be
a attend the first BioMoo session as a ghost. This is the first time
that I have tried to use Telnet, so I'm not sure my context is good for
the address. When I try to designate port 8888, I get the message "bad
telnet destination host name." When I telnet to Bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il,
I am prompted for my ID and password but nothing happens after entering
them.

Clare has suggested that netlag, perhaps contributed to by the
firewall, is causing delays that lead to a timeout before the
connection is established. She suggested that I try "traceroute". I
did this and got a response but don't really know what it means.

Do you have any other ideas? I think this is a common problem, since
there were a number of ghostly presences at the 23:00 BioMoo session.