Re: RasMol scripts problem

Dave Houldershaw (pps2@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:14:40 +0100

Hi Al,

Sorry about your problems, try the following (seems to work OK on my win 95 pc
using Netscape communicator) :-

1) Hit EDIT pulldown menu, and select preferences. You should get a new window.
2) On the left of the new window, double click on the word Navigator, and then
hit Applications underneath it.
3) The righthand side of the window should now show you the various Helper
Applications you have setup.
4) on the very righthand side hit the New Type button.
5) In the new window, there are four text boxes. In "Description of Type" put
something like 'rasmol script' (without the quotes!). In "File extension" put
'ras' (again no quotes). In "MIME Type" put 'chemical/x-ras'. And Finally, the
more tricky box, "Application to use" you need to put the path and program name
for rasmol, try using the "Browse" button. On my machine the path is something
like "C:\Program Files\rasmol\raswin32.exe" (with the quotes!). You need to
append to the end of this line the flag '-script %1' (with out the quotes)
with a space so it looks like "C:\Program Files\rasmol\raswin32.exe" -script %1
6) Hit the OK buttons until your back to your browser, and try hitting on one of
the PDB + Rasmol script links.

I hope this works for you, getting helper applications to work properly in
Netscape does seem to be a 'black art' at times. Let me know if you have
problems.

Cheers,
Dave H.
Tech. Coords. PPS